VOLUNTEER AS A PAWS TO R.E.A.D.® TEAM
Have a passion for books? Have a desire to help children enjoy and improve their reading? Have a low-key dog who likes to listen? Share your wonderful animal companion, your love of children, and your love of reading by becoming a Paws to R.E.A.D.® team.
1000’s of children in the Richmond region are not reading at grade level, and you can be part of the solution to that problem. Become a R.E.A.D. team with your therapy dog and tutor children with compassion in a nonjudgmental, positive and furry way!
1. Do you and your companion animal have the desired qualities to make a great Paws to R.E.A.D.® team? If so, continue to Step 2.
Qualities of a good R.E.A.D. therapy animal:
- Calm, comfortable in a low-key setting
- Able to deal with unexpected close encounters of rambunctious children
- Solid obedience skills; ability and willingness to learn new things
- Tolerant of sudden loud noises, school bells, puppets, costumes, room decorations
- Neutral to presence of toys, crayons, paper, books, and lunch remnants in trash baskets
- Cool around other animals
Qualities of a good R.E.A.D. human teammate:
- All the qualities of the animal, and enjoy children
- Love reading and be a competent reader
- Willingness to discover children’s books
- Willingness to form appropriate relationships with kids and understand their challenges
- Time commitment for library or school program
- Training, grooming and professionalism
2. Become a registered therapy team with your animal (click here)
3. Become a registered R.E.A.D.® team (click here)
4. Become a Sprite’s HERO, Inc. volunteer with Paws to R.E.A.D.® (click here)